Steps for maintaining your Tankless water heater
The best way to ensure that your best tankless water heater will serve you long enough is by maintaining it regularly. With time, the tank will accumulate minerals that can be responsible for corroding the walls of the water heater if they build up. Therefore, you need to regularly maintain and clean your tankless water heater. The idea behind the cleaning and maintenance is to flush and also remove the minerals attached to the walls of the tank. Maintenance and cleaning of your best tankless water heater should be done at least once in a year. Maintaining your tank ensures that you receive optimal performance from the water heater. If you do not know how to clean and maintain your water tank, this is the right piece for you. Through the article, you will be able to learn how to effectively maintain your water tank. Let us look at the steps to follow when maintaining your water tank.
- Before you start doing anything, you have to make sure that the power supply source is turned off. Find out where the power source is and turn it off from the main switch. You can be able to accomplish this by turning off the main gas or when you turn off the circuit breakers.
- After you have managed to turn off the power supply, you can now start with your cleaning or your maintenance practice. Find the water valves that are attached to the tankless water heater and turn them off. You have to turn them off to make sure that no cold water is flowing into the tankless water heater. The turning off of the valves will also prevent any hot water from coming out of the water heater during the process of cleaning. The cold water valve is always colored blue (most of the time) and it also has the hot water valve that is normally red in color. There is a third valve that is the main valve which is responsible for supplying water into your home. Make sure that you have turned them off before you start with your cleaning and maintenance.
- Purge port valve caps should be removed from the cold and hot water valves. The tank or tankless water heater has purge valves that always look like the “T” you have to go through this procedure in order to remove the pressure that might have built up in the valves. Shutting the valves is important to make sure that there is no hot water that will come out and reach your skin. For safety reasons always make sure that the hot water valve is shut down completely. This is because there will be pressure emanating from removing the port valve caps. Even after you have removed the cap, make sure to handle them with care. This is to ensure that the rubber sealing remains in place
- Each and every valve should be attached to the hosing line. Manufacturers usually provide the hosing lines when buying a tankless water heater but if they did not provide one, you can purchase your own. Make sure that they are long enough so that they can reach your bucket from the water heater. If you are not sure of what to do, you should consider consulting your manual first. If that won’t be clear enough, you can always contact the manufacturer. You will have to connect a pump that will help flush the water from your water heater.
- Try opening the purge port valves. You can do that by perpendicularly twisting to where the hot water and cold water valve are.
- Buy white vinegar and use to it to clean the tankless water heater. The vinegar is better than using any kind of chemicals that can be harmful to people’s health. The tankless water heater is used by so many people as the source of their drinking water. It is therefore very important not to use any chemicals that can be health hazardous. To avoid such, white vinegar is recommended for water heater cleaning.
- Go ahead with the draining and the flushing procedure. To do this, only follow the instructions that are provided by the manufacturer. If you do not know the guidelines, you can still call your manufacturer for direction. This procedure always takes at least 45 minutes.
- Close the purge port valve. After you are done with the flushing process, you can go ahead to close the valves. Make sure that the valves are closed well and are intact.
- The hosing lines that you used during the cleaning process should be disconnected from the valves now. Make sure that they are completely removed from the valves.
- Install back the purge port valve cap to their respective purge valves. Always remember to tighten the caps well. Check to make sure that they are firmly tightened. Do that without making any damages to the rubber.
- You need to restart your best tankless water heater now that you have finished the cleaning process. If you do not know how to correctly start your water heater, you can consult the manual. Alternatively, make a call to the manufacturer for guidelines on how to safely restart your tankless water heater.
- After you are done with restarting, you can turn on the hot water tap source. That will allow air to pass through the pipes. Always take two to three minutes for this.