13 Best Snorkeling vacations in the USA
The waves always bring back the lost strength. It heals everything. Life is good with sky above head and sand beneath the feet. Corals being the queen of bright beaches, are god’s poetry. Snorkeling in coral beaches draws the person to another world allowing him/her to learn goodwills of life.
Here are some of the most beautiful snorkeling spots in USA:
Apart from other snorkeling destinations Florida has many other interesting spots. Many TravelJournal and magazines mention these snorkeling spot beauties as must to do at least once in life time.
The Crystal River
To justify its name the river is clean and crystal clear. This is one of the best places to snorkel. It is rich in endangered West Indian manatee. Manatee are slow moving mammals that feed on sea grasses. Tourists snorkeling here say that some even swim up and give a nuzzle.
Apart from snorkeling activities there are underwater restaurants in the region.
The shores are known for turtles, rainbow tropical fish, eels, etc. The waters are also best suited for whale watching. Spring is the right time to visit for whale watching as they migrate to the warmer waters. The following spots are the best places to snorkel in Lahaina
- Mala Wharf – The beach can go up to 30 meters deep. Therefore, one should be very careful while snorkeling. There are parrot fish, goat fish, black surgeons in the water
- Wahikuli Beach park – The west side of the park is the best place for snorkeling. This is because the beach here is shallow.
- Honolua Bay – Here the sea life is concentrated to the right side of the shore.
- Napili bay – This is the most popular and the crowded spot and hence one should start earlier to snorkel here
- Kapalua bay – the bay is shallow. Save energy to swim back.
La Jolla Cove
It is near San Diego. These waters are rich in leopard sharks, yellowtail and garibaldi. With turquoise blue waters it is the most scenic beaches in Southern California. Some TravelJournal say that the cave was formed due to the sea water erosion. Once the region even had an active volcano which is believed to be under the sea today.
Buck Island Reef
The reef covers around 19, 000 acres. The water here is rich in manta rays, sea turtles and colorful fishes.
Papalaua Wayside Park
It is located in Lahaina town. The following are the best spots to snorkel here:
- Molokini Crater – It is an underwater volcano islet. It is crescent shaped.
- Turtle Town – This stretch is rich in green sea turtles
- Coral Gardens – It is home for large number of colored fishes. The corals are breathtaking and is a feast for sea lovers.
- Honolua Bay – It is 20 minutes north of Lahaina town.
- Five caves – It is also known as five graves as it is near a grave yard! However, it is one of the best snorkeling spots in Maui.
- Black rock – TravelJournal and internet surfers’ rate this as the best snorkeling spot to visit in Lahaina.
Biscayne National Park
The park is formed from fossilized coral reef. Camping and snorkeling are two most popular activities here. It also offers windsurfing, kayaking, snorkeling and scuba diving.
The park supports spiny lobster, sport fish, blue crab and shrimp. Collecting corals and sponges are restricted in the park.
It is located at the mouth of Lake Worth Inlet in Florida. As peanut shipping was popular here, the island was named peanut island. It also includes camp sites. The beaches are crystal clear. Thus, are ideal for snorkeling. Some Newspapers and TravelJournal mention that Kennedy spent his winters here.
Crystal Cove State Park
The park is located in California. The place is filled with coastal cliffs. The place is often used by mountain bikers, scuba divers and adventure lovers. There are 180 different marine species in the park. It is also known for hiking and horseback riding. There are 17 different hiking trails. The place is also well suited for camping. It is one of the best spots to spend a weekend especially for adventure lovers.
It is located in Florida. These beaches are known for its tossing mullets. The reef is manmade. Man-made reefs are built to promote marine life. Greater marine life can be found at 6 to 9 feet depth waters.
Carlos Rosario Beach
The beach is located in Culbera Island in Puerto Rico. These beaches are well described as untouched beaches for their pristine features.
The beach is located in Avalon bay in California. It is famous for its SoCal Island. These islands are rich in cold water fishes that come right up to the visitors for food. It is also known for its kelp forest and rock reefs.
John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park
It is the largest barrier reef in the North American continent.
Makaha Beach Park
The best time to snorkel at Makaha beach is during summer. This is when the waters are calm here. In winter there are rip currents. There are large number of sea turtles. It is illegal to touch these turtles. There are also dolphins and octopuses. Sunscreen containing chemicals harm corals and hence it is illegal to use them here. So you must follow the rules here.